This is a case study of how a manufacturing company has benefitted from using EisenVault’s Cloud-Based Document Management Software.
The customer is a diversified manufacturing business, based in North India. They have manufacturing in various states and their HQ is in New Delhi. Their main product is food flavors and concentrates.
The sales department would often get purchase orders by post, or as PDF attachments in email. These purchase orders were stored either on a folder in the sales manager’s PC or in a physical file somewhere. Similarly, the Legal & Compliance departments were storing license copies, agreements, and trademarks either in paper form or in PDF form on user PCs.
This resulted in 3 major problems:
- Hard to Find Documents: The documents were stored in a non-systematic way making it difficult to find a particular document when required.
- Loss of Documents: Sometimes user PC which had these documents crashed resulting in a complete loss of all the documents. Documents also got misplaced in cases when an employee left the company without a proper handover.
- Duplication of Efforts: In a number of cases, one invoice got created twice by two different members of the team. This happened due to a common system for generating and storing invoices.
The first step that EisenVault’s consultant took was to list down all the issues that the stakeholders in affected departments were facing. These departments included Sales, Legal, Compliance, HR, and Accounts. Based on the inputs, a Records Matrix was prepared carrying the following information:
- What type of documents exists in each department?
- How do users expect to find each department? E.g. based on Creation Date, Agreement 2nd Party Name, Product Name etc.
- The above search parameters are known as Metadata for documents
As a second step, we deployed a team at the customer premises to scan and metatag more than 1,00,000 documents which were stored in files as papers. For each PDF created, the relevant metadata was also manually entered. All these PDFs and their metadata were then imported into EisenVault via the backend.
Later, EisenValult created 20 users to grant access to the users with different levels of access:
- One system administrator given access to everything in the DMS
- Head of each department was given “manager” level access to their department’s repository. They were able to add/edit/delete documents and users but barred from gaining access to the documents from other departments.
- Each department had employees added as “Collaborators”. This meant the employees could edit and add documents to their departments, but couldn’t delete anything or add/remove users.
- Employees were only given access to their department’s repository – ensuring that everyone had access to ONLY what was relevant to them.
- Quicker Search: Now that all documents were stored in one central repository and tagged with the correct metadata, it was possible to find them quickly using the advanced search. Employees no longer had to flip through physical files or go looking for documents on hard drives.
- Paper Saved: Company saved 50-100 sheets of paper a day. They had to no longer print Invoices, Purchase Orders, Contracts, GRNs, and Vendor Creation Docs.
- More Systematic Storage: Because all documents were meta-tagged and stored in the correct folder structure, the storage became more systematic. This resulted in less duplication of work, as the employees now knew where to look for a document, before attempting to create it.